Goodreads: Best Books of the Month: February 2016
English | 6 Books | Various Genre | 5.7 MB
1. Sudden Death by Álvaro Enrigue⇒ Italian painter Caravaggio and Spanish poet Quevedo engage in a deadly allegorical tennis match in this metaphysical romp of a novel that vaults through time to explore art, history, religion, and the impact of 16th-century ideology on modern thought.
2. My Father, the Pornographer: A Memoir by Chris Offutt⇒ This memoir recounts a son’s journey to understand his father, an eccentric who secretly wrote more than 400 pornographic novels in 20 years. Offutt works to forgive as he describes the cruel and distant man who was more dedicated to his writing than to his family.
3. A Criminal Magic by Lee Kelly⇒ What if Prohibition outlawed magic instead of alcohol? This 1920s historical fantasy is packed with gangsters, magical speakeasies, and intrigue. When a sorceress named Joan meets Alex, a federal spy, they must decide whom to trust.
4. While the City Slept: A Love Lost to Violence and a Young Man’s Descent into Madness by Eli Sanders⇒ Who is to blame when mental illness leads to violence? In this true-crime narrative, Pulitzer Prize–winning journalist Sanders delves into a 2009 case of rape and murder in Seattle, looking at a complex sequence of events from every angle.
5. Try Not to Breathe by Holly Seddon⇒ Left for dead, Amy Stevenson has been in a coma for 15 years, her attacker never found. Struggling alcoholic and reporter Alex Dale becomes obsessed with solving the cold case in this psychological thriller, even as her own life unravels.
6. Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin⇒ Sometimes high schooler Riley Cavanaugh identifies as a girl, and sometimes as a boy. But growing up gender fluid in a conservative town isn’t easy—or even safe—and Riley’s politician dad is up for reelection in this novel for teens.